I contacted Sears for home repair of my oven on July 1, 2013. The rep stated a repair person would be available on July 2, 2013...great!

The top burners and top broiler worked fine, but the bottom oven burner would not light/heat up the oven. On July 2, 2013, a repairman from A&E Factory Service contacted me and stated he was contracted by Sears and on his way to my home to provide a repair estimate for $75, that could be applied to the repair, if completed. The repairman was friendly and prepared the work area by laying blanket material in front of the oven and asking permission to connect his "equipment" to an outlet. He then got the model number off the oven door and instead of using any type of test equipment or even looking at the range or its current operation, he set up a laptop on my countertop and typed some things in.

In less than 5 minutes, without checking a single item in or on the oven, he declared the oven had a "bad ignitor" and it would have to be replaced. The cost: $274. ($149 Labor and $125 for the part; $40-$70 above competitors part prices, including Sears). When asked how he determined that, without examining or testing a single thing, he stated, "that's what is usually wrong..." I agreed to the repair (with reservation) and he proceeded to remove and replace the igniter or at he least tried to.

After twisting and fighting with the two mount screws holding the igniter on the burner tube, he managed to bend the mount bracket and then declared there is a hole in the tube and it would need to be replaced as well (apparently A&E techs do not know what break free/WD40 is). Of course he did not have a burner tube and would have to go get one. However, he first announced a new estimate would need approval and after adding the burner tube, the repair cost reached $407 (he added $133 for the burner tube, which on Sears.com costs only $88 and comes with a new igniter). At this point, I politely stated I would not be going ahead with the repair and would replace the oven or attempt to have it repaired myself.

At first, he did not want to reassemble the oven, but I insisted he return it to its previous state, so I could still use the broiler and stove top. When asked if I had a change of heart in the next 24hrs and wanted to talk it over with my wife and proceed with the repair, could the $75 still be applied to the repair? He stated "No, claiming rising gas costs prohibit them from return service without charging the $75 again. He could not accept a credit card, but did take a check after obtaining more personal information than my bank ever asked for.

Keep in mind, the whole experience lasted only 31 minutes from arrival to his departure. Thanks A&E for relieving me of that $75, they are certainly experienced at that at least. I wish I would have listened to my instincts and did more research and had seen all the negative feedback beforehand. After searching some great sights, I was able to obtain the burner tube with a new igniter and express shipping for only $78.

I also came upon an excellent video detailing the replacement and hope to have the part and my oven back up and running by Friday.

Lots of luck and remember, DO NOT USE A&E Factory Service...always request a Sears authorized repair technician or search locally for the best deal on repairs and "how to" on the internet first!!!

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jul 03, 2013.

Comments

jdc2
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #676094

Now the "...rest of the story..." as of yesterday, 6 Jul 2013. Major kudos to the customer service personnel and excellent website of AppliancePartsPros.com!!!

The igniter and burner tube, with tax & delivery, totaled only $74.47 (less than the cost of A&E Factory Service's "repair estimate"). I reviewed one of AppliancePartsPros' great installation/repair videos and had my oven back up and running in less than 30 minutes yesterday. My vote for an absolutely great resource for OEM replacement parts at great prices, with great customer service goes to AppliancePartsPros.com!!!

Remember, A&E Factory Service is by far the worst at what they do and the feedback thus far clearly substantiates this without question. Steer clear of A&E Factory Service...no matter what they promise!

AE Service

Jdc2,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We are sorry for the troubles with the repair of your oven. We can only imagine how frustrating and aggravating this situation must have been for you. We would like to speak with you further to see if we can be of assistance. At your convenience please contact our office at AEservice@aefactoryservice.com so we can further discuss your concerns. In the email please provide us with a contact number and the phone number the oven is listed under and we will contact you directly. In addition please include your screen name (Jdc2) in your email for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Liz R.

A&E Solutions Team

A&E Cares

to AE Service Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #674070

Liz R.,

Thank you, but I am not interested in any further discussion with anyone about my concerns. Rather than you "imagining" the frustration, try giving someone $75 of your own money for a professional repair service, only to have them type some stuff in a laptop and perform no diagnosis at all (the technician didn't even take out a resistance/ohm meter to check the igniter...which is faulty, it failed the resistance test I conducted later).

Then have them proceed to provide you a generously inflated estimate of repair (above the cost of simply replacing the appliance), with part costs 40-60% higher than the manufacturers and estimated labor rates higher than a certified plumber or electrician. Perhaps only then, and with your appliance still not operating, you'll understand my aggravation. However, kudos on the technician being polite, taking care to prep the area and his professional behavior and understanding. I consider this a lesson well learned, unfortunately at my own expense.

Unless you or A&E Factory Service intends to guarantee, in advance and in writing on this site, a full refund of my $75 "repair estimate", I'll consider this matter closed.

Thank you. Respectfully, Jdc2